Sunday, August 24, 2014

Remember When...


Remember when we use to play GI Joe in your bedroom? I still insist he can fly.
Remember when we would spend days building Lego castles to prep for an epic battle? I always lost.
Remember when monopoly lasted three days? I still maintain you cheat.
Remember when you locked me outside in the snow? Yea. Me neither.
Remember when I played the flute because I wanted to be like you? If at first you don't succeed, quit.
Remember when you let me drive your car even though I was only 15? Best. Brother. Ever.
Remember when you loaned me your sweater on the beach when Poppop died? I still have it.
Remember when you graduated basic? It was the first time you ever told me you loved me.
Remember when we got sh*t faced before my graduation? Yea. Me neither.
Remember when you came to my birthday party weekend? You played base and I sang.
Remember when I picked you up from the airport in an unmarked van? Your face was priceless.
Remember when I met your girlfriend and she told me she wanted boobs like mine? I loved her then.
Remember when we celebrated your birthday with pirates? Shuttup and drink your beer.
Remember when you let me sing at your wedding? It meant more than you will ever know.
 Remember... Remember.. Remember...

       My big brother, my tormentor, my teacher, my friend.  I know good music from you, and how to stand up for myself. How to have courage in dark times. Think first- act second. If you pretend you know what you're doing, most people won't question you. There is humor in everything. Irish diplomacy: the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. Sometimes the most f'd up situations are the funniest. Its been a bumpy ride. I didn't believe people when they said "Someday you will be the best of friends".  They were right. As we get older, I know you are going to be the one person who will be a constant in my life. The person I can trust, and rely on the most. Not everyone has that. I'm so lucky. Honestly, anyone can have a brother.  lucked out when I got you.
Happy Birthday Erin. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment